Thursday, June 28, 2012

June do.Good Stitches

This month in the Heal Circle of do.Good Stitches we got to make any star block out of solids.  I love stars so I used this as an opportunity to try two new blocks I've never made before.

The first I chose was an Ohio Star - I do live in Ohio!  I used this McCall's pattern and it came together so quickly.  I am considering making a mini or a throw out of these.  Wouldn't the points look neat when you pieced several together?!

Ohio Star
 The next block was a bit more challenging -  a paper pieced star!  This is the Whirling Star from Faith's Solstice Stars Series.  I've only paper pieced a few times and was a bit nervous but the templates and instructions were perfect so it went together without a hitch.  Now I want to go back and make all the stars from the series!


Whirling Star
If you haven't joined do.Good stitches yet, please do!  You can check out the Flickr group and sign up for the waitlist here.  It's so rewarding to use a hobby I love to help make quilts for others.  You only have to make a few blocks a month and you get to make new friends in your circle! 

I'll be whipping up my Stash Bee blocks tonight so hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with more to share!

8 comments:

  1. I really love the Whirling star...I want to learn to paper piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already on the waitlist, but there should be some more peoples on it, because I'd like really to participate ;)) So - Go for the waitlist and help me for participate, dear readers of this fabulous blog ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the whirling star too. Your points are nicer than mine in the center. I think I must have seen off the line at some point or something. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on both stars. Your points look great. I still haven't tried paper piecing, but it is on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks - I like them with the solids. I've been wanting to try some of the tutorials from that series as well but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice points on the ohio star. The only paper piecing I've done is EPP, but looking at your paper piecing block, I just might try this technique. Your whirling star looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are really fantastic! I recently won an entire box of goodies from Mary Fons from her first Quilty magazine photo shoot and it's so much that I'm sharing! If you're interested, please sign up for my give-away www.rocknquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice blocks! faith has lovely tutorials, I used some when she helped with that summer sampler quilt along. i've pondered about the do.Good stitched bee. i'd like to, but nerves get the best of me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!